Saturday, September 26, 2009

Big Sur

McWay Falls, I nearly missed getting this shot. Well I left my home in Elk Grove around 1 p.m. My GPS told me I would get to Big Sur in aprox 3.5 hrs. I stopped along the way taking a few shots of the Bixby bridge and some seascapes/landscape shots. My intentions were to capture McWay Falls about an hour before sunset and maybe a couple of shots right at sunset. The last time I was in Big Sur at McWay falls was three years ago.Well I made it to the park entrance and asked the lady at the booth how far is the water fall. She said it's a twenty minute walk from the parking lot. So I parked and started walking to the falls. The sign said Pfeiffer Falls, about midway to the falls I said to myself this walk seems longer then what I remembered. (click to view larger image)
As I was walking I saw this young couple walking towards me and the young lady said, did you know that the falls are closed, I said no. There was a barricade about 100 feet from the falls but you could still see the falls. When I got to point where I could see the falls, I said to myself this is not the the falls I remembered. I turn back and started to get disappointed because the sun was going down fast. I went back to the parking lot and asked one of the workers at the lodged where is the waterfall that flows into the beach. He said, oh you mean McWay Falls. Its 10 miles south of here. Thats when I realized I was at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and not Juila Pfeiffer Burns State Park. I jumped in my truck and hurried down to Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP. When I got to the parking lot the sun was just setting. So I rushed down the 1/4 mile path to the water fall to this shot I got. The sun had already set, but I was able to get a long exposure.





I captured this shot from the observation area overlooking the beach.
















Low wide view of Bixby Bridge. It was foggy at the bridge, but 1/4 mile south was sunny.




No comments:

Post a Comment